Day 145 - Fashion in the office, originally uploaded by clarity25.

Today I met Carrie Bradshaw from Sex in the City.

Not literally, but a close version of her. She is my co-worker. A collector of shoes and bags. My first friend in the office. We sat together at lunch and she talked about handbags. Particularly COACH handbags and how I should buy one. After all... "every working girl needs a COACH handbag". I looked around with wide eyes and saw that a lot of co-workers owned these bags. Apparently It's the HIP thing.

She almost had me convinced..

Until I saw the price....

www.coach.com/content/product.aspx?product_no=9509&ca...

Yeah, uh, that's not happening.....

On my Third day, I am discovering that our office space is a lot like highschool with different cliques. There is the 30-something frat guys joking around in the afternoon, the forty-something women gathered together at the watercooler chatting about their kids, the maternity ward of pregnant co-workers talking about doctor's appointments. The uber-trendy women in their expensive business suits, long manicured nails and sporting their COACH and GUCCI bags.

I'm beginning to feel a bit like Bridget Jones here...But WITHOUT sexy Hugh Grant as my boss and the cool background music....

I'm exhausted. Time to fall asleep, then wake up and face another work
day...But at least it will be FRIDAY. Which marks the end of my first week in the office world. Just one more day to go...

THANK YOU to everyone that left encouraging and helpful advice in my comments section . It meant a lot and was really appreciated. I actually took notes. (I know, I'm a dork! But it really helped - this is all new to me!)

 
posted by Clarity: 365 days at 9:23 PM |


5 Comments:


At Friday, May 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

...yes, Coach purses are expensive...but I've had one for the last 5 years and it still looks almost new. It's the perfect size, the perfect shape, perfect strap that stays on my shoulder...
Plus, if you find some you like, check eBay. You can get them way cheaper...and they're usually brand new.

I know you guys are tight on money, and it seems crazy to spend $300 on a purse, but a purse is something you carry all the time, and a good one will last a lot longer than a cheap one.

Glad you're surviving at the office, and hang in there...it gets easier.

At Friday, May 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that half the ones you see are fakes. I have a Coach wristlet, it was a bridesmaid gift. I basically use it as a wallet when I use my Marc Jacobs bag(also a gift.) I wanted a Marc Jacobs because there are not a bunch of Marc Jacobs knockoffs around. Anyhow that's not what I wanted to say..other than your near NYC, you can get some really nice knockoffs(shhh.)

They always have Coach shoes at the Winners(tj maxx I think in the states) I went to one and they had aisles of them. I had to walk away though.

I don't know if you have a set lunch hour yet but I know that if you take your lunch later your day seems to go faster. I take lunch at 1:30-2pm and all of a sudden my day is done!

Offices are totally like highschool, now you just got to find the kids who listen to the Pixies and write poetry ;)

At Friday, May 04, 2007, Blogger Kathleen 

You don't need a Coach, Clarity. A purse is a purse is a purse. And nothing on God's green earth will ever convince me that I need to spend hundreds on one. I buy my purses at Target or Payless, etc. If it costs more than $20, I probably don't own it. I'd prefer to think of you eating than wasting money on an expensive Coach. ;-) Glad you're making friends...next up, influencing people. ;-) Just kidding! Enjoy your weekend!

At Sunday, May 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

Wow, I'm starting to see where I would fit in at your office. I have the long nails, over a dozen Coach purses and even Coach shoes. Are you sure you aren't working in my office and secretly watching me?

Sorry about your back. Is your company large enough that they have an erogonamics department? We have one and they come around and make sure our desks are set up correctly for working conditions. After my first session with our erogonamics person, I hardly ever get back pain anymore. If you don't have erogonamic people at your office, do some research online this weekend to see the angles your chair, keyboard and monitor are supposed to be at; it'll be worth it. Oh, and don't sit on your legs.

At Monday, May 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

About this woman who was trying to talk you into a Coach bag? I didn't think people that superficial actually existed. Was this the main topic of your lunch conversation?

You don't need a Coach bag. Sure, they're great and will last. But so will a Nine West for $30 at Macy's.

And I second the ergonomics thing. There are definitely things you can do to get rid of back pain. My one tip is posture, posture, posture. Make yourself sit up straight with your shoulders back. It works wonders.



<body>