Day 179 - Just my luck, originally uploaded by clarity25.

Yes, I'm the sad owner of this ugly swollen ankle dressed up in a Futuro brace.

Last night I was walking down the hallway steps in the pitch darkness and Fiona darted across my path. It took me by surprise. (Yes, I tripped over one of my cats). I fell over onto the floor and twisted my ankle badly. The pain shot from my ankle up my leg and I was literally writhing in pain.

This morning I woke up with a bruised and swollen foot. I couldn't apply any pressure on it without tears coming to my eyes. I was limping around. I tried to get into my dress shoes for work and the pain was so bad I began to cry.

Eric took one look at my foot and told me that I need to take the day off, pack it in ice and keep it propped up on the pillows.

JUST MY LUCK.

He bought me a brace this afternoon (Eric's been such a loving doctor, I don't know what I would do without him.) and I just took 3 Motrin an hour ago. The swelling has gone down a little but my foot is still throbbing. my ankle looks like there is a balloon lodged under the skin. I'm keeping it in the brace and taking it off every hour to apply ice for 20 minutes at time. Hopefully I'll be better tomorrow. I can't afford to miss another day of work.

I can't remember the last time I sprained my ankle this badly

*sigh*....The story of my life.


Any advice on speeding up the healing of a sprained ankle?

Day 179 - of 365 days

 
posted by Clarity: 365 days at 7:35 PM |


4 Comments:


At Wednesday, June 13, 2007, Blogger Kathleen 

Stay off of it, keep it elevated (prop it up on a box or something at work)...and yes, go to work, because you have to, but do NOT wear stupid shoes. A sprained ankle is nothing to mess with and if the company insists you wear heels with a sprained ankle then they are the devil's spawn and you need to get to the doctor's and get a note. I can't imagine, though, that they wouldn't understand.

Cats are so damned annoying like that, aren't they? Mine are always getting underfoot and I ask them if they're trying to kill me.

At Wednesday, June 13, 2007, Blogger Kathleen 

Actually, the prescribed ritual for such injuries is RICE.

Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Just keep icing it down, every 15 minutes or so, no longer so that you don't get frostbite. My sister does this crap for a living, so I know this stuff. ;-)

At Wednesday, June 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

Kathleen beat me to the RICE!
Me and her always with the same advice!(wear your running shoes into work, they can't say moot if you have an injury, it's illegal.)

When I was in grades 1 & 2 I twisted and sprained my ankles so often that by the end of gr.2 I could stand on the sides of my feet ankles towards the ground and not feel a thing. I'd go over on them and people would freak out and I'd be like "what?"

Last painful thing to happen to my foot had something to do with my arch and I couldn't put pressure on it for about a month. That's when I learned the RICE.

At Wednesday, June 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

Agree on the treatment. Also, get some Aleve if the Motrin's not working...it sometimes works better for my ankle-spraining klutzy self.

Keeping it elevated with an ice pack REALLY helps.

And don't feel bad. My ankle sprains have been been from basically tripping over the floor. :)



<body>