Day 151 - Epiphany, originally uploaded by clarity25.

I'm adjusting to my new job, the new hours, the long commute through traffic, and my new shoes. As you can see from my previous pictures + text, it took a week and a half of incessant whining to reach this point.

I realized the root of my problem.

I've worked only in the art field for the past 6 years. As a mural artist, than an illustrator in a multi-media company and then doing freelance artwork. I was defined by my job and I was doing what I loved. I was proud of the fact that Eric and I could support ourselves by being artists. We never wanted to "sell out". I was filled with ideals and didn't want to abandon our dreams.

I have to come to terms with the obvious fact that the job you work at doesn't define who you are. This new job is completely foreign to me and I'm out of my element. I'm trying to change who I am to fit the job instead of just seeing it for what it IS...

Simply a job.

A way to put some money in our savings account so we can move out of New York.

It's temporary and there's no reason I can't continue painting on the side. It'll take time for my body to get used to the new work hours and I'll have to push myself harder than before to stay motivated. But I can do it.

And I'm not the only one doing it. In fact most people are.

So it's time for me to get with the program

There's no reason I can't enjoy the ride to get where I want to be. Life is too short not to... It's all in how you look at things. Lately I've been too tired to see everything clearly and appreciate what I have.

Day 151 of 365 days

 
posted by Clarity: 365 days at 4:28 PM |


4 Comments:


At Friday, May 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

NOW you're getting it! Yay! ;)

At Friday, May 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

HURRAH! Good for you!

I would totally buy art from you.

At Friday, May 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

HOORAY!
I knew you would figure it out!
If we were all defined by our jobs it would be a very scary world!

At Tuesday, May 15, 2007, Blogger Kathleen 

I knew you'd reach this point. And heavens, we've all whined about our jobs at some point. I do it daily!!!



<body>