“California tremblor of Magnitude 6.7 or higher is more than 99% certain, scientists say

The apartment I’m in living in today was destroyed by the fires of the 1906 Earthquake and rebuilt in 1908. ALL of Nob hill was flattened and reduced to ashes. It’s strange to see pictures of the street I live on after the earthquake. Desolate, bare, smoke-filled. The blurry black and white images show people searching through the rubble for a semblance of their old life.

When I watch news footage of the tragic horrific earthquake that recently happened in China, it’s scary to think I’m living in Earthquake country myself.

Everyone in San Francisco jokes about “The Big One”. The jokes are usually followed by a nervous laugh that fades to a momentary uncomfortable silence.

We know it’s coming.

Any time I feel a slight tremor, there’s a moment of fear. It kind of shoots down my spine and causes me to stop dead in my tracks. When it passes, I move on with a slight feeling of trepidation.. but within a minute it’s already forgotten.

It’s weird living on a ticking time bomb though. When you actually think about it…

I just read an article that ranks San Francisco number 4# on the list of the top five most dangerous places to live in the United States (In relation to potential natural disasters)

On the flip side of the coin… If you're curious, The 5 SAFEST U.S. cities to live in are..

1.Mesa, AZ
2.Milwaukee, WI
3.Cleveland, OH
4.El Paso, TX
5.Pheonix, AZ


Oddly enough..the knowledge that at any moment in the next 30 years a massive earthquake will strike this city does NOTmake me want to pack up my bags and move to Mesa, Arizona

I'm not going anywhere

It just makes me appreciate every day a little more and it's a reminder to not take a minute for granted.

Besides the scientists are only 99% certain, there’s always that 1% chance that everything will be fine.....;)

 
posted by Clarity: 365 days at 2:39 PM |


2 Comments:


At Thursday, July 03, 2008, Blogger Cloudy 

My ancestors were in the 1906 quake and I was in the '89 quake in SF. Then I moved to Seattle & experienced a 6.7. No escaping!

At Tuesday, August 05, 2008, Blogger Kathleen 

Earthquakes were a small part of the reason I moved home from SF. I like living where the chances of being killed by nature are remote.



<body>