I woke up this morning feeling slightly disoriented. I was tangled up in Eric's arms on a comforter and pillows on the floor. I could see the blurry image of an empty champagne bottle and 2 empty glasses turned sideways.

The Sunlight was coming in brightly from the open windows.. I could see the trees from the backyard and hear birds. (a sound I'm not really used to anymore.) I gazed around and our apartment was flooded with new light. For a second, I didn't even register where I was. It's so strange waking up in a new apartment for the first time.. especially an empty one.

The events from last night all came back to me. Unpacking the boxes, drinking the champagne, ..all the laughter, happiness and excitement of having a place of our own again. We ran around with barefeet, checking out the cupboards, drawers, lights... we danced and talked about how amazing this was until the early morning hours.

Even though my head was pounding, I had to smile.. I'm so incredibly happy right now. This is such a milestone for us.

Then I realized I was late for work because I had forgotten to set my alarm clock. I lept up and started searching for something to wear. I was running around in circles because I couldn't remember where I put everything and I didn't have an iron. I literally sprinted down california street.

While I was at work, Eric picked up the new futon from the craigslist ad. He had it all set up when I arrived home. It's so beautiful and I never thought I'd appreciate a futon as much as I do right now.

OUR FIRST OFFICIAL PIECE OF FURNITURE!

That's the two of us sitting on it this afternoon.

 
posted by Clarity: 365 days at 2:31 PM |


1 Comments:


At Tuesday, August 05, 2008, Blogger Kathleen 

I think it's a law in SF that your first bed in SF be a futon, as mine was too. I also had a futon for a couch for people to stay with me.



<body>