Day 127 - How do I work this?, originally uploaded by clarity25.

Our apartment is a little dated.. as in from the early 1900's.

The intercom system has not been updated since then. So we have THIS thing next to the front door of our apartment..

The first time the faint ringer went off to signal that someone was outside the building, I was unsure what to do.

I picked up the little ear piece and fiddled with the switch on the buttom of the old fashioned phone thingie. I heard a faint crackling.. which seemed promising.

"Hello??"

I leaned over and spoke into the microphone thingie.

"Hello?"

Eric started laughing. I gave up and ran down the long narrow hallway to greet my friend at the front door of the building instead.

I guess the relic is pretty useless at this point. It's an interesting piece of history. An artifact from another Era.. I like to imagine what the original tenants looked like, what their story was. the family or person that lived here has probably long since passed away...

Question: Have you ever lived or do you currently live in an old building or house? What year was it built?

 
posted by Clarity: 365 days at 2:32 PM |


1 Comments:


At Tuesday, August 05, 2008, Blogger Kathleen 

My apt here was built in the early 1920s and I love it. Sadly someone along the way replaced the old buzzer system in my current apt. with a doorbell. It's so not fun. My two other apts. in these buildings had the original buzzer, which scared the crap out of the cats, but I preferred that to this wimpy doorbell. However, I finally have French doors to the sunporch which the other two didn't have, so it's a good trade-off.



<body>