This morning I felt more self-confident when I stepped into the office and slid behind the receptionist desk.

I filled the empty candy bowl (see above left) with Butterfingers, Babe Ruth's and Crunch bars... which I discovered is the best way to get to know my co-workers. They all wandered over to check out the treats and introduced themselves.

Now I know most of the names of everyone, and a lot of extension numbers. I know how to greet the clients..(smile, ask them to take a seat, offer them coffee or water.) I know to have incoming callers spell out their names and for me to repeat the phone number back to them when I take a message. (I learned that one the hard way) I know that so-and-so doesn't want his wife to know where he is and So-and-so is always too busy to talk to his mother. (but always available for his girlfriend)

Co-workers come over and chat confidentially with me about other co-workers.. in a whisper. A lot of drama going on and as the receptionist you get to hear all sides and watch it all unfold.

I feel a bit like PAM in "The Office"

And when the phone isn't ringing, I'm can read the San Francisco Chronicle and "Further Tales of the City" by Armistead Maupin

Believe it or not.. this is a fun job.

 
posted by Clarity: 365 days at 2:25 PM |


0 Comments:




<body>