Day 99 - Recap of the first day, originally uploaded by clarity25.

I just finished my second day of work at the law firm and I thought I'd recap my first day...

Do you remember the FED EX package I mentioned that I was given by my job recruiter to take to the Law Firm?

I didn't open it because I knew it contained the bar exams and I thought it had to remain confidential.

It turns out that I was SUPPOSED to open it.

You see... My first assignment was to be a proctor for the exam and it contained a 30 page instruction book on being a proctor. Being a proctor is taken more seriously than I ever imagined. There is the pre-registration for the exam, Registration, Pre-exam instructions, Exam procedure and Post-exam procedure + sign out instructions.

I discovered this the moment I was buzzed into the office by the receptionist and met my boss.

I nervous walked up to her, wobbly on my high-heels and shook her hand. "Hi, I'm Clarity.. The temporary Administrative assistant you hired..."

"Do you have the pencils?", She asked briskly after exchanging brief greetings.

"um...pencils?"

"For the exam"

I shook the FED EX package. I heard what sounded like pencils. "I think they're in this package...?"

"You didn't open the package?", She asked with a tone of disbelief and confusion.

"No.. I thought..."

"Did you ever proctor an exam before?", She asked

"......No."

"There's a detailed instruction manual inside the package. This is taken very seriously and we're depending on you to maintain the confidentiality and integrity of this important examination" she continued. "Have a seat in your office, open the package and READ the guidebook. You have 30 minutes before pre-registration. Then it will be you alone in the conference room with 35 people. You have to know the procedure and follow it exactly. After the exam, we'll get you settled in and I'll explain your regular administrative duties in this firm"

"okay, thank you", I nervously took a seat behind a big desk with the un-opened FED EX package in front of me.

And I felt sheer PANIC and FEAR. 30 minutes to learn everything. I wanted to cry or run away. I felt unprepared, unprofessional and completely out of my element. What was I DOING here in this place?? How did I end up here?? Why didn't my recruiter TELL me more about my job duties instead of just handing me some random package and an address???

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

Then I tore open the fed ex package. It was filled with sealed envelopes containing 35 exams, boxes of pencils, registration forms and a PROCTOR instruction guide.

I settled down and read it closely. jotting down notes on a separate piece of paper for the main points.. It was a lot to memorize and remember, but when I broke it down...I knew I could recite it all. If an actress can receive a script for a television show a half hour before the filming and memorize it all.. so could I.

Before I knew it. I was sitting at a desk in front of 35 suits in a big conference room with massive windows overlooking the financial district introducing myself as their proctor and instructing the class to come up one by one with their identification for pre-registration for their exam.

That was the hardest part of the day, but once I overcame that and managed to wing it with confidence.. the rest of the day was a piece of cake. I learned the required programs, met my co-workers and made a few friends a long the way.

I walked home with a smile. I had been so afraid of what this day had in store for me, although at certain moments it was overwhelming.. I can definitely fall into the swing of it and work in a law firm for a week.

Day 99 of 365 days

 
posted by Clarity: 365 days at 2:16 PM |


0 Comments:




<body>