Day 89 - Exploratorium, originally uploaded by clarity25.

Today we visited the Exploratorium, Museum in the Presidio.
When I first stepped inside, I was surprised.

I was expecting a traditional museum setting. Instead, I discovered a massive warehouse with objects, gadgets, gears, papers, wires and contraptions dangling from every which way. Kids running in all directions. Bubbling Geysers, engines running, pendulums swinging, and balls flying.

I felt like I was a little kid again watching "Mr. Wizard".

It was pretty crowded and I'm assuming this is due to the free admission. The kids all seemed to be injected with pure sugar and a little strung out. They pulled on every knob and pushed every button with rapid abandon. some didn't even seem to care what the button did, they just had to push it over and over and over..

But despite the masses of other visitors crowding around every exhibit, it was fun to walk around and observe it all. I loved the optical illusions, the mind exhibit, the floating mirror cracked me up. I loved the exhibit with the strobe light that catches your shadow in frozen motion.

We were there for about 3 hours, just exploring and watching. I wish I could have tried out more of the experiments myself. I'll definitely be going again (Hopefully it will be less crowded so I can try out some of the activities first hand instead of watching from afar)

This is a great place though. Definitely worth a visit if you're in SF. It's free the first wednesday of every month.
(this is a picture of me playing with the Tricky mirror exhibit.. trying to find my own reflection..)

 
posted by Clarity: 365 days at 2:29 PM |


1 Comments:


At Thursday, January 17, 2008, Blogger Kathleen 

Is that where the Mechanical Museum from The Cliff House moved? I would always take visitors to it, but back then it was open every day. I loved that place.

When they re-did the Cliff House, I had heard they moved the museum to the Presidio, so I'm assuming it's the same one.



<body>