Day 168 - New York Times, originally uploaded by clarity25.

“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”
Robert Kennedy

I started reading the New York times at age 19.

When I moved to Europe, An American New York Times issue cost 10 Euros to purchase at the train station. Once a month I would dish out the cash, but usually I just couldn't afford it.

One of the Perks of being back in the states is the opportunity to read my favorite Newspaper again. I don't write about current events here very much or even discuss politics with with my friends, but I enjoy debating with Eric and we always read it together at the breakfast table.

I went to the library the other day in search of Archived Newspapers and I was given a link and password to free unlimited access to the New York times Historical papers online. (The usual subscription cost is 155$ a year) It's available to all N.Y. Public library patrons. I've been utterly fascinated with this lately. I started at the first New York times published in 1851 and I've been making my way through the 1800's. I can't stop reading. Since it's written by people experiencing it first hand, It feels like a virtual time travel experience through American History.

Random Question: If you could have lived during one period of time in past history, when and where would it be?

Day 168 of 365 days

 
posted by Clarity: 365 days at 7:21 PM |


3 Comments:


At Friday, June 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

I think I'd choose the late 50's to the late 70's(yes I know that is cheating)I've always been sort of obsessed with those decades.
Or the 30's-40's because they seem interesting.

At Friday, June 08, 2007, Blogger Kathleen 

I honestly don't know. I would love to be able to say the 18th century to see how things were back then, but I'm enough of a modern woman that I'm pretty sure I would hate it - I'm a big fan of toilets vs peeing outside or in outhouses.

I would find the historical NYT fascinating as well. I almost wish I lived in NY just to become a library patron and read that.

If I could choose knowing what I know now, I would choose late 1970s but not in Detroit (since I was alive then), but in Manchaster, England, just so I could see my favorite band live (i.e., go to all their concerts).

At Sunday, June 10, 2007, Blogger Nightmare 

1960s in Las Vegas...can you just imagine the fun that would have been??



<body>