This picture was taken during my flight from San Francisco to New York.

I was starving because they didn't offer any food on the 6 hour flight, except for measly little sandwiches that cost 5.50$ each and they only took credit cards. (I left my American Express card with Eric in San Francisco) What happened to food being included in the ticket price?? they wouldn't take cash.

The flight was fine until we reached JFK. Then we hit insane turbulance. There was no room on the runway to land, so we had to fly around in circles for an hour in stormy weather.

If that wasn't terrifying enough, the pilot announced the following statement over the intercom..

"We don't have room to land and we are entering a storm front. We're running out of fuel, so we'll be forced to land in Newark, New Jersey instead to fuel up. Flight attendents please exit the aisles and buckle up. Everyone keep buckled until we reach New Jersey. Do not leave your seats"

The plane bucked and bumped along. At times the engine appeared to be shut off, perhaps to conserve fuel. We just coasted along. We went up and down like a boat on ocean waves with rapid dips. I felt like I was going to vomit and my stomach was pushed up to my throat, then the engine would start up again. People's drinks spilled on them and everyone was gripping their seats.

Once we landed in New Jersey, people started protesting about not being able to exit the aircraft, they were fumbling for their carry-ons and shaking their heads. We finally reached a docking station.

The pilot said "We are in Newark, We will re-fuel here and try again to land in JFK. If anyone would like to leave the aircraft now is the time to do so. However your luggage will remain on the plane until we reach JFK. it's your decision. The gates are open for departure now"

I grabbed my carry-on from underneath my seat (Just a backpack was all I brought with me from San Francisco) and I RAN off the plane in New Jersey. Along with half of the other passengers pushing their way rapidly out of the craft.

We weren't in New York yet. I didn't care. I wasn't about to wait around.

I needed to get off this deathtrap immediately. I was trembling. I felt bad for all the passengers that had missed their connecting flight and were now stranded.

My father picked me up in New Jersey and drove me home to New York.

That was by far my most disturbing airplane experience to date.


Next week I have to take this airline again to fly back to San francisco with our two cats. AFTER THAT, I WILL NEVER FLY WITH THIS AIRLINE COMPANY AGAIN!

Ever.

Now it's midnight, I'm in New York safe and sound. Time to get some sleep.

Day 11 of 365 days

 
posted by Clarity: 365 days at 8:52 PM |


4 Comments:


At Friday, September 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

I'm sorry the weather was so bad on your flight. Turbulance is horrible to go through, no matter how many times I experiance it I can't help but imagine I'm about to plummet to my death.

Sadly flights that are not first class OR over seas no longer include a meal. Turbulance and refueling can happen on any airline, I've been on the cheapest no name flights and the biggest airlines and these things can happen on any of them. My favorite airline of all time Greyhound went out of business years ago, they were cheap AND they had the best free sandwiches, cream cheese with grated carrots and raisins! So good! I flew with them on xmas eve once and they gave every one on the plane a white chocolate bar in the shape of a dog bone!
The person to blame your horrible ride is mother nature!!

On your flight back make sure to pack snacks in your carry on, when I came back from Vancouver last year brought two bagels with cream cheese, an apple, two bottle of water, granola bars, candy, chips and nuts. I could have supplied the whole plane with snacks!!

Enjoy your week home!

At Monday, October 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

Ooh, that sounds horrendous. We had a similar experience on the way home from Portugal once, I thought we were all going to die. Hope your week in New York goes well and that your family is well. Good luck for the flight back and odn't forget to pack some sandwiches!!

At Monday, October 01, 2007, Blogger Rocketgirl 

That's so crazy! I was on a flight years ago that was supposed to land at Newark, but had to make an emergency landing at LaGuardia, and it was just as scary. I thought I was going to die! We did miss our connection though:( Hope you are having fun with your family!

At Thursday, October 18, 2007, Blogger Kathleen 

Sweetie, I hate to tell you that all airlines are the same these days. None serve food and they all have issues getting you where you need to go on time. Fly whomever is cheapest, but I highly recommend flying into Oakland or San Jose over SF - fewer weather issues when landing. I don't even have SF on my Travelocity look for trips list (or whatever the heck it's called).



<body>